1-10: Nutrition and Diet
Lets kick my top 25 off with some diet and nutrition tips. Not fun but very important.
- 1. Eat 5-7 smaller meals instead of 3 big meals. This not only keeps your hunger in check but also gives you more consistent energy throughout the day.
- 2. Never skip a meal. It does not help you to lose weight. In fact, skipping meals lowers your overall metabolism and creates raging cravings. A lose-lose situation.
- 3. Know your daily calorie requirement. Most people are clueless about their calorie requirement. But if you don’t know your DCR, how are you supposed to know how much to eat?
- 4. What do you put in your mouth? Make sure you know the calorie content of the foods and drinks you are consuming.
- 5. Cut calories from drinks. The easiest way to lose weight is by eliminating calories from drinks. Well basically you are getting rid of all the sugar that goes into juices, soft drinks etc.
- 6. Stick to water. Water is calorie free, keeps your hydrated and actually helps to lower water retention.
- 7. Go easy on fruits. Although are contain vital minerals and vitamins. They do contain sugars as well.
- 8. A fistful of carbs. Whether you are a rice, grain or potato craver, always stick to a fistful of carbs. Reminder: a fistful means singluar …. not both fists.
- 9. Are you getting enough proteins? Stick to about 1-1.5g for each pound you weight. And hey, proteins are a lot more filling than carbohydrates.
- 10. Curb your cravings. Do you have a weakness for chocolates? Well we all do. If you do, don’t bring your cravings back home.
Exercise should be fun. Don’t let them tell you otherwise. Always remember that it doesn’t matter what exercise you do, as long as you are active.
- 11. Exercise is optional! Did you know that you can lose weight without ever doing any exercise at all! Its all about the calories baby!
- 12. Lift those weights! Male or female. Young or old. Be sure to include a form of weight training in your exercise program. More muscles help you burn more calories and well, they look and feel good.
- 13. Focus on quality. Exercise is not always about quantity but make sure you get quality into your sessions. How? Through know how.
- 14. Avoid carbs if you are running or do cardio for fat loss. After all its the fat you want to burn and not the carbs from your milo, 100Plus or Gatorade.
- 15. Milo, 100Plus and Gatorade help you with energy but do not helpyou lose weight!
- 16. Want great abs? Doing crunches or ab exercises dont really help. You need to get rid of that layer of fat covering your ab muscles. How? Well through cardio and dieting.
- 17. Exercise to tone up? Well exercise along does not do the trick. You need to cardio exercises, weight training and dieting.
- 18. Yoga is great for flexibility and stress management but not the best choice for weight loss.
- 19. Saunas and steam rooms can help you lose weight by removing water and elevating your metabolism, making you burn more calories.
- 20. Sex is fun and burns plenty of calories but please, don’t just lie on your back.
21-25: Supplements ++
Food and nutritional supplements can help but be sure you (the consumer) are not tricked by these before and after pictures.
- 21. Magic pill? There is no such thing as a magic weight loss pill.
- 22. How do fat burners work? Most so called fat burners work by introducing caffeine as a way to elevate your metabolism. You see, it is always about the calories.
- 23. Want to lose 1kg? You need to get rid of 7,700 calories and no, it doesn’t matter how you do it.
- 24. Protein supplements are a great in-between snack at the office or at home. They are low in calories, keep your cravings in check and are not as yucky as they used to be.
- 25. Get a good multivitamin. Micro-nutritional deficiencies can lead to cravings and weight gain. Get a good multi-vitamin that suits your sex, age and lifestyle. They can help fill these gaps.
- 26. Take your time. Weight loss is not a 12 week crash course. Neither was weight gain. Most people that fail to lose weight is either because they simply don’t know how or because their goals were not realistic.